What is zirconia crown?
Because of its extreme durability, natural look and translucency, zirconium is becoming one of the most chosen materials for dental crowns.
How is a zirconium crown prepared?
- Local anesthesia is done before dental preparation to avoid any discomfort during procedure.
- The tooth is prepared and dental impression is taken.
- After dental impression is taken, temporary crown is prepared and cemented using temporary cement.
- Unprepared teeth are used for shade selection.
- Zirconium crown will arrive within 3-5 days and it will be cemented using temporary cement. The reason we avoid permanent cementation is to intervene easily if any complication occurs.
- İf the patient is comfortable with his/her dental crowns after 4-7 days, they will be permanently cemented.
- The patient should come for regular check-ups every 6 months.
Why you should choose Zirconium crowns? What are the advantages?
- Because it mimics the translucency of natural teeth, it will look naturally and will match with the rest of your natural teeth.
- Zirconia crowns have no metal lining at the gums unlike porcelain fused to metal crowns. Porcelain fused to metal crowns have a metal layer underneath the porcelain layer. This fusion/ metal lining is visible usually at the gum line.
- Because of its superior and natural looks, it is mostly preferred for the anterior teeth.
- İt is more biocompatible than porcelain fused to metal crowns. Some patients have allergy to metals in porcelain fused to metal crowns. No zirconium crown allergy has been reported so far.
- Less dental tissue is removed during tooth preparation than porcelain fused to metal crowns. During tooth preparation for porcelain porcelain fused to metal crowns, more dental tissue is removed to better hide and block out the metal underneath the porcelain layer.
- Because of less tissue removal during tooth preparation, less sensitivity to heat and cold is expected.
- İf single crown needs to be done, it is more advantageous to choose zirconium crown as it will match with the rest of natural teeth.
Disadvantages of using Zirconium crowns
- Very long zirconia bridges can be less resistant to stress or extra forces, e.g. biting compared to metal ceramic bridges. There is an increased risk of chipping or a fracture as a result of this although the newer varieties have a stronger inner structure
- Zirconia crowns cost more than porcelain fused to metal crowns.
How much does a Zirconia crown cost?
Zirconium crown prices vary depending on the location of the clinic. If the clinic is in a prime location the charges are higher.
If you want to learn the price of zirconia crowns, you can call +90 553 33 55 30 or contact us via whatsapp.
Before and after photos of restoration with zirconia crowns
Frequently asked questions about zirconia and their answers
Choosing the shade of your crown? Which shade should we choose?
The shade selection for zirconia crown or bridge is done after tooth preparation. It includes different shades varying from imitation of bleached tooth to severely discoloured or devitalized tooth. Those shades are referred to as a1-b1-c1-d2… Bleached shade which is whiter than a1 is used rarely.
If you want one or two zirconia crown you should choose shade which is compatible with your natural teeth. İf you want full mouth rehabilitation a1 or b1 shades are advised. You should consult to your dentist about the shade.
Are there situations when zirconia crowns are contraindicated?
We don’t advice zirconia bridge if there is long edentulous area between abutment teeth . İn these situations porcelain fused to metal crowns are more advantegeous. İf you want zirconia bridge in this situation it is advised to place dental implants and prepare zirconia bridge after that.
İs zirconia crown on dental implant possible?
İt is possible to place zirconia crowns over dental implants. İt is more aesthetic than porcelain fused to metal crowns. You can learn the details about implants from article in our web.
Will the tooth underneath the crown decay?
İf the restoration is done properly and dental check-ups are done regularly the teeth underneath crown will not decay. But if the patient won’t keep their oral hygiene in optimum condition and miss the dental check ups the teeth underneath crown will eventually decay.
İs the tooth prepared before zirconia crown?
The tooth is prepared before zirconia crown is placed. Because of its translucency less tooth tissue is removed compared to the porcelain fused to metal crowns.
Can i smoke or consume alcoholic beverages after zirconia crown?
Smoking and alcohol consuming before and after restoration with zirconia crowns will not harm the restoration.
Will zirconia crown cause halitosis(bad breath)?
İf the restoration is done properly and oral hygiene is good(brushing twice daily, using interdental brush or flossing regularly), it will not cause bad breath. İf you still have bad breath there may be other reasons.
I have allergy to metal crown, is there any possibility of zirconium crown allergy?
Allergy to metal porcelains is seen rarely, but when porcelain fused to metal crowns are changed with zirconia crowns allergic reaction disappears. No zirconium crown allergy has been reported yet.
I had dental implant surgery, should i prefer zirconium abutment or titanium abutment?
İf dental implant is in the anterior part of the mouth, zirconia abutment is preferred. İf it is in the posterior part of the mouth, zirconia abutment is not preferred because aesthetic concerns are not so important in this area.
İs zirconia crowns harmfull?
Zirconia crown is not harmfull to your health. But if a lot of dental tissue is removed during teeth preparation, it can be harmfull.
How zirconia smile design is done?
During smile design procedure with zirconia, dental impression is taken and dental gypsum model is prepared. After that, mock-up is prepared. After that, the mock up will be applied to your teeth and it will show you the end result over the unprepared teeth. You will tell your dentist your opinion about the end result and you will be able to locate the points that troubles you and ask from your dentist to change them. After that, the teeth will be prepared and zirconia preparation will begin.
How long will zirconia crown last?
Zirconia crowns will last at least for 5 years. There are patients that have been using zirconia crowns for 15 years.
- 1 What is zirconia crown?
- 2 How is a zirconium crown prepared?
- 3 Why you should choose Zirconium crowns? What are the advantages?
- 4 Disadvantages of using Zirconium crowns
- 5 How much does a Zirconia crown cost?
- 6 Before and after photos of restoration with zirconia crowns
- 7 Frequently asked questions about zirconia and their answers
- 7.1 Choosing the shade of your crown? Which shade should we choose?
- 7.2 Are there situations when zirconia crowns are contraindicated?
- 7.3 İs zirconia crown on dental implant possible?
- 7.4 Will the tooth underneath the crown decay?
- 7.5 İs the tooth prepared before zirconia crown?
- 7.6 Can i smoke or consume alcoholic beverages after zirconia crown?
- 7.7 Will zirconia crown cause halitosis(bad breath)?
- 7.8 I have allergy to metal crown, is there any possibility of zirconium crown allergy?
- 7.9 I had dental implant surgery, should i prefer zirconium abutment or titanium abutment?
- 7.10 İs zirconia crowns harmfull?
- 7.11 How zirconia smile design is done?
- 7.12 How long will zirconia crown last?