When there is a loss of one tooth or several teeth, the titanium post surgically positioned in the jaws and used to replace the teeth are called dental implants. By mounting replacement teeth directly into a metal post or frame we can mimic the natural teeth.
This preocedure takes approximately between 3 to 6 months. İf immediate implant placement is done it will shorten the time and reduce the number of visits. But, usually(%95) it will take 3 to 6 months.
- Intra-oral examination before dental implant surgery
- How are dental implants placed?
- Frequently asked questions about dental implants and their answers.
- Which dental implant brand is the best?
- Which clinical department does dental implant surgery?
- How many dental implants can be done at the same appointment?
- How much time does it take to place the dental implants?
- At that age can implants be placed?
- İn which situations are dental implants removed?
- Does dental implant cause inflammation?
- How long do dental implants last?
- How are healing caps attached on to implants?
- How much time should we wait to place dental implant after extraction?
- Situations where we need to wait for implant placement after the extraction.
- Do dental implants have any harmfull effects?
- Can i smoke after dental implant surgery?
- Will i feel pain after dental implant surgery?
- Can i eat after dental implant surgery?
- What is the advantages of using dental implants ;
- If you need to give the average waiting time;
Intra-oral examination before dental implant surgery
The intra-oral examination comprises ridge defects, crown to bone relationship, quality of the mucosa and contour of the underlying bone. Palpation, orthopantomography and tomography is used to examine the underlying bone. İntra-oral examination also includes existing restorations and reconstructions, decayed and filled teeth, oral hygiene assessment, periodontal exam, dental pulp test and diagnosis of parafunctional habits.
How are dental implants placed?
After intra-oral examination, dental implant surgery is done if your jawbone is thick enough.
Stages of dental implant surgery
- Visual and radiographic examination of alveolar ridge and mucosa.
- Cut is made to open the gum and expose the bone.
- Holes are drilled into the bone where the dental implant metal post will be placed.
- The post is implanted deep into the bone.
- Cover screw or healing cap is attached onto the dental implant.
- The flap is sutured for primary closure and the surgery is finished.
- Single implant surgery can last for 15-20 minutes.
Prosthetic stages of dental implant procedure
- Healing cap or gingivoformer is removed and impression coping is attached to the dental implant.
- Dental impression is taken with silicon based impression materials and mouth trays.
- Dental impressions of upper and lower jaw are send to dental technician.
- Dental technician prepares prosthetic restoration(zirconia or porcelain fused to metal) on the abutment.
- Prosthesis will be ready after 2 or 3 visits and will be placed over the dental implants.
- Dental impression taking may need to be repeated 2 or 3 times. Taking dental impressions are the most important part of the procedure. İf there will be errors in impression, the final prosthesis will not fit onto the implants.
- Dental implant procedure is done, if you want your implant to last long you should read the article about what should you do after dental implant therapy.
Frequently asked questions about dental implants and their answers.
Which dental implant brand is the best?
We cannot decide over which implant brand is superior to another. All implants, both locals and from abroad are made of titanium. The success of implants depend on your dentist rather than brand. You will decide with your dentist about which implant brand will be chosen and how much will they cost.
Which clinical department does dental implant surgery?
Any experienced and well trained general dentist can place dental implants. Dental implant surgery isn’t limited to one clinical department. İn university hospitals dental implants are placed in oral surgery department, periodontology department and implantology department.
How many dental implants can be done at the same appointment?
12-16 dental implants can be placed at the same appointment.
How much time does it take to place the dental implants?
The duration of surgery depends on the number of dental implants placed, the side of surgery, quality/quantity of the bone. Placing 1 dental implant takes approximately 15-20 minutes. Placing two dental implants next to each other may take 20-25 minutes.
At that age can implants be placed?
The patient must be at least 18 years old. The reason for not placing implants in people under 18 is because bone and jaws continue to grow till that age.
İn which situations are dental implants removed?
İf your dental implants are becoming loose they will be removed(if problem is around the implant rather than prosthetic part). İt occurs in less than 1% of the cases and will not cause much pain.
Does dental implant cause inflammation?
Yes, there may be inflammation after placement of dental implants. Think of it as a natural tooth. İf you won’t come routinely for dental check ups, don’t brush and floss around implants routinely there will be inflammation around the implants. You should keep your oral hygiene at optimum levels and visit your dentist regularly for check up.
How long do dental implants last?
The longevity of dental implants depends on several things. Dental implants will last for long in patients who do not smoke and keep their oral hygiene at optimum levels. Dental implants are not superior to your natural teeth. You can lose your dental implants the same way you lose natural teeth.
How are healing caps attached on to implants?
After the dental implant is placed in the bone and left for osseointegration to occur the healing cap is placed above the gums and over the fixation screws. Healing caps lead to accurate closure of soft tissue surrounding implant and provide a definite shape and form to gingiva which is aesthetically close to natural look. İt is placed after the dental anesthesia and removal of cover screw.
How much time should we wait to place dental implant after extraction?
İn some situations dental implants can be placed immediately after tooth extraction. But usually need for 2 to 3 months for the healing to occur after extraction before placing the implants.
Situations where we need to wait for implant placement after the extraction.
- if there is large lesion around the tooth,
- if there is no enough bone for implant stability after the extraction is done,
- if dental extraction will be too difficult.
Do dental implants have any harmfull effects?
There are no reported harmfull effects of dental implants on healthy patients. İ would chose dental implants over bridges if i needed one.
Can i smoke after dental implant surgery?
Smoking is one of the top reasons of implant failure. You shouldn’t smoke after the surgery. İf you can’t resist the urge to smoke at least wait for 7-10 days(till the stitches are removed).
Will i feel pain after dental implant surgery?
İf you take the pain medications your dentist prescribed, there won’t be any pain. You should listen to your dentist.
Can i eat after dental implant surgery?
You should wait till the numbness passes away after the surgery to start eating. After the numbness passes away you shouldn’t chew with the side of the jaw where surgery was done.
What is the advantages of using dental implants ;
- Your natural natural teeth are definitely not treated.
- We prevent your bone loss as much as we can.
- You have a more aesthetic appearance.
- You can use fixed dentures instead of pluggable dentures.
Dental implant treatment varies depending on whether the implanted jaw is lower or upper jaw, whether bone graft is used, softness, stiffness and quality of bone, whether or not lifting is performed in the sinus cavity of the upper jaw.
If you need to give the average waiting time;
In the treatment of lower jaw implant …………. 2-3 months
Implant treatment of the upper jaw ……. 3-4 months
If sinus cavity removal has been performed…….6-7 months
If implant was performed using bone graft ……. 6-7 months
Since the anesthesia is performed before the implant treatment, you do not feel any pain during the implant. After the implant, you can control the pain if you drink the pain medication recommended by your doctor.
The implants should be cleaned daily. Our implanted tooth is no different from our other teeth. Brushing and flossing are also valid for our implanted teeth. Like our normal teeth, our implanted teeth need to be checked regularly every 6 months.